lunes, 1 de mayo de 2017

William Wordsworth y Leopoldo María Panero: Al cuco

TO THE CUCKOO

O blithe New-comer! I have heard, 
I hear thee and rejoice. 
O Cuckoo! Shall I call thee Bird, 
Or but a wandering Voice? 

While I am lying on the grass 
Thy twofold shout I hear; 
From hill to hill it seems to pass, 
At once far off, and near. 

Though babbling only to the Vale 
Of sunshine and of flowers, 
Thou bringest unto me a tale 
Of visionary hours. 

Thrice welcome, darling of the Spring! 
Even yet thou art to me 
No bird, but an invisible thing, 
A voice, a mystery; 

The same whom in my school-boy days 
I listened to; that Cry 
Which made me look a thousand ways 
In bush, and tree, and sky. 

To seek thee did I often rove 
Through woods and on the green; 
And thou wert still a hope, a love; 
Still longed for, never seen. 

And I can listen to thee yet; 
Can lie upon the plain 
And listen, till I do beget 
That golden time again. 

O blessèd Bird! The earth we pace 
Again appears to be 
An unsubstantial, faery place; 
That is fit home for Thee! 

AL CUCO

¡Ledo huésped reciente! Tu eco escucho
de nuevo, y me alborozo.
¡Oh cuco! ¿He de llamarte también pájaro,
o errante voz tan sólo?

Mientras tendido estoy sobre la hierba,
tu doble grito oigo,
de colina en colina resbalando,
cerca a un tiempo y remoto.

Aunque es tu charla nada más al valle,
y a las flores y al sol,
a mí me trae una leyenda de horas
en mágica visión.

¡Tres veces bien venido, vernal príncipe!
¡Mas, para mí, tú no
eres ave: invisible cosa eres,
un misterio, una voz!

La misma que en mis días escolares
escuchaba; ¡aquel grito
que me hizo aquí y allá tornar los ojos
por fronda, cielo, espino!

Vagué a menudo, atravesé en tu busca
bosques y praderíos;
mas tú eras siempre una esperanza, un sueño
deseado, nunca visto...

Y aún escucharle puedo, y acostarme
sobre el llano, y oír,
oírte hasta crear de nuevo aquella
dorada edad en mí.

¡Oh ave santa! ¡La tierra que pisamos
nuevamente es así
obra de un hada, inmaterial paraje,
hogar propio de ti!

Traducción de LEOPOLDO MARÍA PANERO.